Sunday 13 January 2008

plush.

There are many things in life that I don’t understand. American foreign policy. The Brussels city metro map. Nickelback. Corporate men in tailored Italian suits carrying nylon backpacks. Teddy bears.

Of all the useless, unwanted gifts I have received in my life (and this is by no means a small number) nothing ranks higher than the teddy bear. Or plush animals of any species, in fact. I’m not discriminatory. I am proud to be an equal opportunist regarding my fervent disdain towards mounds of foam crammed inside polyester fur casings.

It seems that the teddy bear has become today’s go-to gift for any occasion. It’s a retailer’s dream: design one generic product and stick it into an appropriate costume and it becomes perfectly marketable for any season or event. Various little cleverly designed outfits and accessories make them chameleons instantly appropriate for birthdays, Christmases, graduations, baptisms, Bar or Bat Mitzahs, and naturally the promise land of consumer whoredom: Valentine’s Day. Of course I’m sure that not every attempt to universally market the teddy bear has been greeted with the same degree of success that the top hat wearing, rose-clutching Valentine’s Day bear has enjoyed. Easter teddy, for example. The real reason that we have the seemingly randomly selected Easter Bunny carrying a basket of eggs is because little teddy nailed to a crucifix wasn’t exactly flying off the shelves. The same is true for the doomed to obscurity ‘happy divorce’ teddy, complete with a tiny plastic cleaver jammed between his ears.

What exactly is one supposed to do with plush animals once maturing beyond (or at least running out of free time for) arranging stuffed toys nicely around a miniature table so they can mingle whilst presumably sharing tea, cucumber sandwiches, and hot stock trading tips? I was once given a plush pony which my cat quite warmed up to – if you can call his python-like stuffing of the pony’s head into his seemingly dislocated jaw and dragging it triumphantly around my flat “warming up to”. At least it had a use and gave someone some pleasure that didn’t involve than clawing up my sofa. Normally, under the pangs of guilt for relegating a gift immediately into the trash, one winds up displaying the furry object on a desk, or atop a bookcase where it proceeds to sit with beady eyes, menacingly staring down at you and all else it surveys.

In actuality, it’s probably doing much worse than playing the judgmental, albeit passive, voyeur. Not only is it wasting precious table top or shelf space, its soft furry exterior has become a veritable Hilton for dust, germs, candle or cigarette smoke, pet hair, and spores. It might well smile and look sweetly down upon you with glassy doe eyes, but I’m not fooled. Amass enough of these thoughtless gifts and I'm convinced, they will do their best to kill you from the lungs outward. I aspire to start selling teddy bears that double as air filters. The plush exterior would be capable of osmosis bringing all the air pollutants collected inside it so they can sit on a shelf being useful for a few months until their filtering powers are used up and they can be tossed guiltlessly into the trash. Now that’s a gift.

With the current state of the gifting market, if you live long enough and are popular enough with acquaintances and other meaningless gifters, the barrage of plush toys will eventually prove detrimental to your health. When buying someone a teddy bear as a last minute gift, few shoppers consider that the ultimate product for the end user is an appointment in their agenda for lying in a hospital room hooked up to beeping machines and dripping IV bags, breathing hoarsely through a tube in their trachea. Lying alone and silently cursing everyone who ever gave them a little germ bag sewn up in a soft furry casing. Death has come. Death, by plush.

14 comments:

Strawberry Blondie said...

By the way, may there be a special place in hell for anyone who, upon reading the above, thinks it will be funny to mail me a plush animal. Consider yourselves warned. ;-)

Allison said...

My Gran vacuums her stuffed animals each week. She loves them that much.

I have nothing against them, I didn't have an abundance of them growing up, but I did have (and still have) a teddy bear given to me when I was 5 that I just latched onto.

Not all of us had horses to ride you know. We had to live with the plush equals.


p.s. I already mailed you a plush sheep last week. Deal.

;)

Anonymous said...

I need to hold something at night. That something is preferably a boy. Second to that is the teddy bear I have since... birth (?), and third is a pillow or mess of blankets.

However, having not received a plush toy as a gift after the age of 8, I can understand your frustration. With the exception of a very few (there is a strong pachydermian theme), I have absolutely no desire for any more plush animals, and would be weary of getting any as gifts, because yes, what does one do with them at this age?

In all seriousness though, you might want to talk to a counselor, because your level of rage suggests that one might have hurt you in some way, and we all know plush animals don't have teeth. ;)

Strawberry Blondie said...

Allison -- Your Gran is an example to us all. She is truly a responsible plush owner!

I had a bunch when I was kid, and some of them had sentimental meaning, others were just darn cute. My vendetta is more against the lame gift ones like a monkey in a graduation outfit holding a "congrats!" pennant. Yep, I got my degree, now I just need a plush Colobus monkey in a tiny hat to make my life complete. :P

If my cold, cold heart could make room for anything, it might just be an M&S faux sheep. ;-)

Maggie -- You do raise a good point, it is nice to have something cuddly around for sleeping purposes. I enjoyed your hierarchy from boy down to mess of blankets! I also respect your love of the pachyderms. They are mighty cool animals.

You're right, I should seek professional help to get over my plush rage. Maybe I had some sort of imagined incident as a child about being mauled by toothless plush tigers or some such... God, I'd be a psychiatrist's dream! ;-)

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I am still attempting to get rid of the 476,876,764 stuffed animals my teenager received as a baby which now clutter up the basement. It's bad enough foisting these things off on babies, but anyone who gives an adult a plushy should be drawn and quartered. Publicly.

Anonymous said...

The hierarchy is important; it shows that I do actually have some sanity and am well aware of my sleep-time needs.

And though I greatly value a living sleep companion, I'm also sure part of it has much to do with comfortable body arrangement, as really, my arms need to rest on something.

Strawberry Blondie said...

Barbara -- I would suggest a mass bonfire or incineration of the plush mass, although I fear what the burning polyester and releasing of spores and dustmites into the air might do to your health!

I like how you think: we definitely need some sort of public spectacle of punishment for the plush gifters. Teach the little bastards a lesson. ;-)

Unknown said...

I so enjoy your rants... however I confess to some enjoyment of Nickleback... just how did they get involved in a rant about furry stuffed objects?! Hmmm...I guess I haven't shown you my very expensive, handmade teddies (not a lingerie reference, but might help ensure a sleep mate for those who need one... I digress), given your taste for the fine things you might develop a new appreciation for them!!! It's always about quality...

Todd said...

hehehe - I read your post once already before, and then just yesterday, I'm not sure what I was thinking about, but I was thinking about little gifts that people give, and plush toys vaulted to the front of my brain - close on that thought's heels was this post, and possibly followed by you, as gas can and some matches.......... :P

Anonymous said...

ooh I love irrational hatreds! Lets see what else she dislikes...

I'm betting on strawberries & cream and Morgan Freeman.

Eve said...

I guess I shouldn't tell you that Mat just bought us four new plus toys. They are part of our family! When you are a child who is not allowed any pets, the plush toys are the closest you have!

I had a plush husky, who went with me many places. My dad liked to note that he didn't bark, or pee, or shed...

I still love my teddy bears, but totally understand you hate for them as gifts now, especially for graduation. I would have preferred a monetary reward versus a plush one :-)

Strawberry Blondie said...

shwi_sw -- I'm intrigued by these hand-made teddies: if they meet the approval of the only person I've ever known to send food back 3 times in a restaurant, AND are expensive, I'm sure I could love them. Although, you'll never convince me to like Nickelback!

I'm flattered you think I have a taste for the finer things - we do share that. Thank goodness that and our other redeeming qualities are all we share, after some narrow avoidances... If there's anything that could possibly rival my love for a good rant, it's sisterly bonding scandal. ;)

Todd -- I'm so glad I leave you with the image of myself holding a gas can and a match! I'm guessing there's a demonic little twinkle in my eye as well, and possibly some maniacal laughter... Muahahaha!

Darkojones -- There are many other irrational hatreds rattling around this neurotic little mind of mine. I would attempt to post a complete list, but I fear tapping into that part of my brain would be the blogging equivalent of Indiana Jones opening the Arc of the Covenant. (Of course the main concern there is that I just would not look good in that hat.)

Eve -- Well now I just feel like a jerk! I didn't even think about plush toys for kids without pets. That is a fantastic reason for teddy bears (and even better, plush huskies!)

I'm glad to hear that you and Matt are extending the plush family! Is it safe to assume that at least one of these plushies is the Blue Jays' mascot (whose name I don't know)? I'm starting to think an ideal grad gift would be a teddy bear holding a cheque, or a wad of cash. Everyone wins that way!

Strawberry Blondie said...

shwi_sw -- Can I at least assume we can agree on being mystified by "corporate men in tailored Italian suits carrying nylon backpacks"? We must see eye to eye on that! :P

Unknown said...

Absolutely... I much prefer the "man purse" and the hunky italian man who dares to carry it ... of course if it were Armani or Gucci I might have to forgive him... but buttery leather is far preferable to nylon?! ( I am sure Armani and Gucci wouldn't stoop to such mundane fabrics ... )
Still laughing about the near scandal... where is B? xoxo