Friday 23 May 2008

birthday.

Often times, restaurants will serve diners a little something following a dish to cleanse their palettes before the next course commences. The French lean towards vodka drizzled sorbet, while the Japanese prefer razor-thin slices of ginger. I wouldn’t presume to be so gauche as to launch into part 2 of Food without a little palette cleanser, strawberry blondie style. A simple, and horribly understated birthday note.

---
We’re an unlikely pair, her and I. Had we met a few years earlier than we did (midway through university) we would have most certainly hated each other. We once took a hypothetical journey into our childhoods to imagine ourselves together as kids. The girl in pink and pearls and the girl with the pink hair and studded wristbands. She said maybe we would have been on the same baseball team. I said I didn’t play sports that involved teams or balls. I probably would have just gotten hit in the face with the bat, I said. No, she said, you probably would have gotten hit in the face by me.

Fortunately, the high school meeting and probable stuffing in the locker of one party was avoided. We became friends through the horrid unoriginality of academic group projects assigned alphabetically by surname. Saying we “became friends” suggests something more linear and organic than what actually happened. One snowy midwinter afternoon she opened her door to a knock and found one of her alphabetically assigned group members-cum-acquaintances standing on her doormat, an hour early. ‘Hi’, she said. ‘I’ve fallen out of love. Should I break up with my boyfriend today?’ I replied.

Two years later the boys have changed, we’ve both fallen, (often crashing into flaming heaps of wreckage) in and out of love, we’re no longer alphabetically assigned to each other, and yet somehow I can’t remember how things were without her.

She’s miraculously always there when I need someone to pick my head out of the toilet and relocate it to a bed. When traveling together, she’ll take my suitcases down from my shelf because I can’t reach them, sneak a beret into my bag for photo ops in Paris, and stand in one of the most glamorous train stations in the world running a lint brush over my clothes and holding a mirror while I readjust the part in my hair. She puts up with my romantic drama and the seemingly chronic bouts of foot-in-mouthisms hurled at her by the various men in my life. She listens to my confessions, celebrates my triumphs, and overlooks even the most grievous of my mistakes. When I get lost or lose my wallet in a foreign country she’ll book me hotels and train tickets over the phone. She’ll travel hundreds of miles to a city she hates to visit, knowing she’ll have to sleep in a tiny bed in a (seemingly impossibly) even tinier flat with a kitchen that she has to stock herself if she wants to eat. She’s met my flights, helped me moved, and walked me home when I’m unable to stand.

Never asking anything in return, her flaws are being too patient, too forgiving, too modest, and most unforgivably, too far away. Hearing her talk about herself, I don’t think she’s met the girl I, and everyone else, want so badly to introduce her to: the stunning, charming, savvy, sweet girl with the red hair. The lively girl who’s always up for striking a pose in a graffiti-filled alley or atop an oversized stone daschund. The girl who’s always there to wipe away your tears and make you laugh at the ridiculousness of your problems. The girl who cares more about people she’s just met than herself. The girl who falls in love hard and suffers enormously as a result. The girl whose sharp tongue and cunning witticisms deserve a much larger audience. The girl with chiseled cheekbones, porcelain skin and arched eyebrows enough to make any self-respecting film noire heroine slink abashedly into the smoky shadows.

The girl who deserves a birthday better than anyone can give her.

Here’s looking at you, kid.

10 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Awwww, this made me cry a little, it's so lovely. And even though I have never in real life met our mutual friend, I am very proud to call her a friend, and want to join you in wishing her the happiest of birthdays.

Lovely tribute, well said.

Allison said...

Happy tears! Happy tears, I swear. See, they do exist. :)

Thank-you for the lovely birthday tribute. I'm so very proud to call you a dear friend and I look forward to future shenanigans. Perhaps with compasses? ;)

The dramas I feel will still be ridiculous but I hope...I mean really hope the nicknames will just get better!

Allison said...

p.s. Thank-you Barb for the wishes as well. I'm very lucky to have such lovely friends in you both. :)

Strawberry Blondie said...

Barbara - When you meet her in real life you'll only be prouder to call her a friend. :-)

Allison - You're most welcome! Happy tears are allowed, even encouraged, from time to time. I have no doubt there will be more shenanigans, more ridiculous drama, and yes, even more nicknames!

Unknown said...

Well said indeed, my dear. And two blogs in one month! I'm sure that would make our girl most proud of you. ;)

Strawberry Blondie said...

Maggie - Just you wait: I'm going to blow your mind and post something else this month!

Unknown said...

AHHHH... what a great amuse bouche.... I would love to meet your alter ego... perhaps when I get to London again we can arrange a rendezvous... Hope you had a babulous BD Allison!

Strawberry Blondie said...

Shelley - Your comment made me realise that I don't use the words "amuse bouche" often enough in daily conversation! You will definitely have to meet Allison someday soon.

I'm pleased that you said "when" you get to London and not "if"…keep saving those frequent flyer points! ;-)

Toronto Airport Limo said...

My best wishes are with you and may you have success at every stage of your life

Toronto Airport Limo

IT Consultants said...

I wish you good luck and may all your wishes come true.

IT Consultants