Sunday 25 May 2008

food. part II.

If the food and food service-related woes one was subjected to were limited to the time and selections of food being available (see part I), I feel that we, as a society, would be doing alright. Sadly, it only seems to worsen from there. On the upside, it does give me considerably more things to gripe and whine about, but on the downside, it just seems to indicate that we’re that much further from achieving societal perfection. Today’s rambling series of complaints isn’t directed and the owners of eateries, but the consumers and the seemingly endless barrage of food-related faux pas to issue forth from their masticating mouths.

The range of faux pas is assuredly limitless, but as is often a deciding factor here, laziness dictates that there are two main groups of faux pas. First, unforgivable ignorance and stupidity regarding the actual content of the food. Second, things to avoid saying to offend your dining companions.

Once again, I’d like to reiterate that I certainly don’t consider myself a food-snob, or a gourmand. A snob in general, well sure. Sadly, my culinary prowess are non-existent enough that the words “food snob” have not yet found their way onto my curriculum vitae. Perhaps, someday. Until then, there are always the heinous faux pas of others to give my confidence a little stroking. (In all honesty, some of these aren’t even so much dining faux pas as simple, “when you’re honestly that dense and can’t keep your remarks confined to an internal monologue, you might want to consider not leaving the house without wearing a ball gag.”)

Before I moved to London, I spent a few months working as a temporary secretary in a rather questionable office. It was hell, to put it mildly. I’ve experienced migraines more pleasurable than some of the days spent answering phones and filing papers in that office. Doesn’t sound too bad, does it? It was. Suffice to say, it was not an isolated occasion when I was asked by a colleague to page her “right away when her baby daddy called”. Somehow, and I say that with no small degree of surprise, the office had performed quite well over the previous fiscal year and the corporate executives were treating all the staff to a dinner out at a nice local steakhouse. After much whining about the choice of a steakhouse, and the required advanced ordering from a prix fixe menu, it was decided that all the employees who liked beef would order the rib eye steak option from the menu, and those who preferred chicken would order the filet mignon.

Fortunately, I had quit and had moved to other side of the ocean before the dinner actually took place. I am sad, though, that I never got to see how the filet mignon was received by the poultry lovers. Although, from an entire staff who seemed to spend every waking moment of their days chain smoking some sort of low grade tobacco that smelled suspiciously like repurposed tires, my guess is that their tastebuds were sufficiently dulled to subtle nuances such as that apparent when eating a cow or a chicken.

Pure ignorance always has a bit of charm to it, in the sense that it’s pretty self-detrimental and only the speaker suffers any sort of cringing discomfort. The social blunders at the dining table directed outwardly always seem a little bit more regrettable. Even worse is when they happen to hit an innocent bystander or third party who’s been dragged along against her will. One of the marks of a brilliant friend is that they put up with these abuses, not only from their friends, but from the people their friends happen to be involved with and introduce them to. Unfortunately, the latter of the following two incidents occurred to one of my best friends while she was still smarting from the former.

We were pleasantly ensconced into the corner table of a little Italian bistro. As Italian restaurants go, this went beyond being Italian in name only. Every staff member in the place was Italian to the point of only speaking a few very halting phrases in English. A very charming little place, despite her and I feeling quite useless and leaving our male companions to communicate with the wait staff. I have never, and probably will never again, feel more like a Mafia princess then during that dinner. I should mention that my friend had spent the previous days making considerable allowances for a number of regrettably embarrassing incidences and flaws of character of one of our fellow diners, in no small part to appease me. As fate would have it, he had chosen to don an unfortunate pair of cargo pants (complete with dangling zipper pulls on the pockets) that evening. While through the rose-coloured lenses of love, that may not seem like a grievous offence, I’ll now admit that it was a fashion misstep akin to tripping over an untied shoelace on the edge of deep gorge.

Our food is served, in the form of pretty sizeable pizzas. While they initially appear quite large, it’s worth mentioning that they are paper-thin and each costing as much as a decent handbag. Being known for my bird-like tendencies to pick my way through food, it’s no surprise that I eat about a third of mine and pass the remainder off to a seemingly bottomless pit that is masquerading as one of the men at our table. My friend, being much more financially conscious than I, eats her whole plate. Not a big deal, considering it is paper thin, as well as obscenely overpriced. At this point, cargo pants turns to her and upon seeing her clean plate announces to the table, “Wow! I’ve never seen a girl eat an entire pizza before!” He turns to the other people at the table continuing to chatter excitedly about how big the pizza was. She turns to me and gives me a look that would not only melt lead, but bring it comfortably to a temperature that would enable you to dip little pieces of fruit into it and call it fondue.

I interpreted the look to say to me, “if you can’t be attracted to guys who aren’t jackasses, than I’m making you join a convent”. Later in the night she told me that it was directed at him and actually more along the lines of, “Well, I’ve never seen a XX year old man wearing pants with decorative zippers on them before”.

Sadly, our encounters with pizza and those of the male persuasion were not to end there. One night, a few months ago, we found ourselves out in Camden, and I found myself shaking in my little red shoes at the prospect of introducing her to The Boy. The night had not exactly gotten off to a stellar start. The Boy, had made some well-meaning but not necessarily equally well-chosen introductory remarks pertaining to her nose ring and the contents of her blog. By the time the night was drawing to a close, I had graduated from shaking in my little red shoes to wondering if I could fit somewhat comfortably under one of the bar’s little red velvet sofas to hide indefinitely.

Heading back to the tube, we happened upon a little pizza and hot dog vendor. I was about to break into a little dance complete with jazz hands to celebrate something being open after dark, so she and I grabbed pizza slices, and he (being the flagrant Anti-Cheese-ite that he is) opted for a hot dog. We wander into the tube, and in my usual fashion I continue to tear small pieces off the crust and pick away at my pizza working my way towards the tip. At this point, The Boy surveys us: me picking away at my crust, and her holding onto my arm with one arm, her purse with the other. “Damn, you ate that pizza fast!,” he exclaims, “Were you starving? She’s barely started and yours is totally gone!” I can’t quite fathom how he was expecting that commentary to be received, but I’m guessing it was a far cry from how it actually panned out. (Logically, one would think he would have connected the dots and realized since he was also done eating and knowing that I’m an exceptionally slow eater, that she was just eating at normal human speed). Alas, from that point, all pretences of polite mingling were quite far away, left behind in Camden, perhaps. I’ll never forget the look of terror in The Boy’s eyes as he sensed something was amiss. I’m sure I’ve seen deer illuminated in the headlights of speeding transport trucks who look more optimistic of a positive outcome.

Suffice to say, I’ve got some more work to do getting those two to warm up to each other. I’m thinking over drinks, rather than food this time. One more misdirected commentary on her eating from a boy I’ve introduced her to, and she’s going to stick an apple in my month and I’ll find myself slowly spinning around over hot coals in the middle of a luau.

14 comments:

Allison said...

Perhaps people who don't know what filet mignon is are the same people who think you can cook lettuce into cabbage.

I will also never forget that dinner, and I feel like I should add we were eating for at least an hour and I was the only one not drinking my weight in alcohol, so I had room for a whole pizza. And it was about $25. I know you've stated these facts, but I'm just reinforcing them. :) Also if I recall correctly, I wanted to stop eating, but Zipper Man goated me into finishing, only to hurl the insult. *Shakes fist*

Oh, may I add the crepe incident of last weekend? When you added whip cream to yours I actually thought, great, I'm literally going to have to chew each bite a thousand times to equal the same pace as you.

And another thing...The Boy sure inhales chocolate like nobody's business.

Yes, its still a sore subject.

I'm going to my happy place now and continue eating my m&m's with a spoon. ;)

Unknown said...

Holy shit. I figured we'd have to wait at least 3 months for you to get this up here, and by that point you'd probably have moved onto a different subject, leaving me wondering for eternity what the hell part ii would have been about. Well done, girl!

It seems to me that I probably would have been able to kill your office folk with a look if I had to go to that dinner. I be they would have given the veggies pasta with chicken and figured they wouldn't notice.

Perhaps not avoid eating so much as eating pizza. I'll cheer Zippers in his no-cheese preference though. That type of a bold and daring choice nowadays takes a lot of guts as he will forever be plagued by comments about it from nearly everyone he meets (not speaking from experience at all here).

Though, I suppose with the constant taste of his foot in his mouth, he probably doesn't need that extra flavour. ;)

Strawberry Blondie said...

Allison – i). You’re probably right. God, I’d hate to see what they eat at home.

ii). Yes, it was quite an unforgettable dinner. Remember the awful lemon liquor? I remember catching you trying to switch your full glass with my empty one. ;) I’m sure zippers did set you up for the insults. He set it up for a bad night, and I hit it out of the park. Oi.

iii). Ah, the crepes. I gave up on mine when the bottom fell out and I lost all the innards. Another reason not to like Brighton!

iv). Hahah! He definitely doesn’t appreciate the savouring.

v). Hopefully the spoonfuls of M&Ms will help ease your suffering. I’m sure you’re eating them in a very dainty and ladylike fashion, just as you do with your pizza. ;)

Allison said...

Bold choice or not, I can understand not liking cheese (on some level), but I can't respect someone who doesn't like pickles and kills them with forks.

;)

(Should I add to The Boy that I'm joking and the winky emoitcon saves all?)

Strawberry Blondie said...

Maggie – I know! It's shocking what extreme boredom does to a girl!

You definitely would have kicked some ass at that office party – although you'd have to be careful that no one brought their baby daddy as backup. Honestly, you could have served shredded newspapers and gruel out of a trough and they wouldn't have noticed.

I forgot that you're also an Anti-Cheese-ite. It is indeed a bold and daring choice these days, and I see why you need to bond together. Although, for the record it's The Boy you're cheering on. ;)

Hahah! Yes indeed, apparently feet must taste pretty good since they all seem to keep cramming them back in their mouths any chance they get!

Strawberry Blondie said...

Oh good christ on a ritz cracker, what a commotion I've started!

I'll consider myself lucky if no one (pickles included) gets stabbed with a fork as a result of this conversation.

;)

Anonymous said...

I'm aware of for whom I was cheering. It's purely based on the fact that as people who do not enjoy cheese (whether it be a taste thing, or something that makes one violently ill *ahem*) we need to stick together so that people will stop making comments to us like "OMG, how can you not like cheese!??!?!?!" and my personal favourite "I could NEVER live without cheese!!!!!! I don't know how you do it!!! It must be SO HARD!!!" Hard, no. Frustrating, yes when one is continuously plagued with wide-eyed shock at their food choices.

That being said, I do not approve of his choice of foot-based entrees. I think a good lesson or so by you on appropriate verbal dinner selections is obviously needed.

;)

Unknown said...

Food...a subject near and dear to my heart... I freely admit to being a food snob and a persnickety (love that word) eater! Why can't people just respect our food choices and preferences without all of the commentary?!?! That said, I am enjoying your commentary... and I plan to improve your culinary ability yet... give it time! As for boys and there dumb ass comments about our eating habits, more fuel for our never ending food and weight obsessions... enough already! Eat and enjoy... and don't apologize for enjoying it or knowing what and how you want it!!!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I found myself chortling far too many times whilst reading for it to be proper. I'm lucky the chortle police were not hovering about.

Perhaps the next meeting of Al and The Boy should be over a bowling match or something. At least then there would be weaponry.

Strawberry Blondie said...

Maggie - You're definitely right that people's food choices shouldn't be met with wide-eyed shock. I have to confess, my eyes may have been slightly widened and when the Boy informed me he didn't like cheese. Hopefully he's forgiven my slightly aghast reaction.

Shelley - I love that you're a food snob! You have an amazing knowledge of food, and are an incredible cook. I have many fond memories of succulent dinners, BBQs, and homemade birthday cakes at your house. Perhaps someday you'll get a chance to impart some more cooking wisdom to me!

You're so right about the foot-in-mouthisms regarding the eating reflecting on weight/image obsessions. The last thing pretty much any female I know needs is another reason to feel self-conscious and irrationally negative about her body. Well said, my dear!

Barbara - Can one really chorlte too much? I don't think so. A little chortle here and there is good for the soul. Next time you see the chortle police, please shake your fist at them on my behalf.

I like the bowling idea, although I fear getting in a room with A) rental shoes and B) the two of them and heavy blunt instruments. ;)

Anonymous said...

I "The Boy" hereby stand accused of food crimes against humanity.

The charge - unlawfully endangering the life of one fine upstanding young pickle by means of continual stabbing.

To this charge I plead guilty and may God and Allison show varying degrees of mercy on my soul.

Oh hell, maybe I'll just get her a big ol' slice of pizza to make up for it ;)

Strawberry Blondie said...

darkojones - Definitely a grievous crime. Pickles everywhere will no doubt rise up and unite together in briny revolt against you.

We'll see how much mercy Allison and your deity of choice have for you. Fingers crossed you don't end up in GitMo or anything. You certinly won't be inhaling any chocolate there!

While sweet of you to try and make peace with an offering of pizza, I think you may have to throw down a diamond or two on the table to even the score.
;)

Allison said...

darkojones:

Hahaha! I have mercy and I look forward to our next sparring match, over dinner of course. ;)

Strawberry Blondie said...

Oh my goodness, I feel like we're having a little Oprah moment here in the blogosphere. It warms the heart, like so much toasty warm pizza.