Tuesday 6 May 2008

food. part i.

Last week, I ate half a turkey sandwich before I realized it wasn't a thick slice of cheese on rye.

Now, I'm not a food snob, per se. It wasn't that long ago that someone had to teach me my Roquefort from my Gorgonzola, and my feta from my chevre. However, I do know that turkey should under no circumstances be mistaken for cheese. I consider this one of those little truisms commonly accepted as steadfast rules in the food world. Just as I know one should never order steak “well done” at a restaurant of any repute, I know that large cooked foul and milk that has been persuaded to curdle into a solid state should not have interchangeable tastes and textures.

Lately I’ve found myself thinking more than usual about food, eating habits, and national cuisines as I’ve been travelling and meeting new people and feebly trying to assimilate to various cultures by adopting the eating behaviours of the locals. It’s been a somewhat horrifying journey, with a full portion of complaining, a side order of sceptically poking at concoctions with forks, and maybe even a smattering or two of lying miserably in bed rubbing one’s tummy.

Upon arriving in New York City last summer, on one of my first weekends out on the town, I was told that I stood out a mile away as an out-of-towner. Before I had a chance to offer my feisty defence of my pronunciation of “about”, my unwillingness to do a little catwalk strut for a bouncer to get into a club, and the continual absence of a cigarette from one hand and a Blackberry from the other, I was told it was my plans to have dinner sometime between the hours of 5pm on Friday and 6am on Monday that marked me as if with a neon flashing sign as a non-Manhattanite. As it turns out, only tourists eat on the weekends in the Big Apple. On a weekday, dinner in Manhattan is a good steak. On the weekend, it’s a three-course affair: a cocktail at happy hour, a cigarette, and a sugar-free Altoid for dessert.

As our posse of locals returned to their on-upping each others threesome stories, my fellow out of towners and I had a quick discussion about this weekend-fasting revelation, the short synopsis reading something along the lines of, “Fuck that shit. Where was the falafel stand we passed ten minutes ago?” Apparently, as we soon discovered, if you’re comfortable being labelled an outsider, pariah, or social leper and choose to flagrantly disregard this unwritten uneating rule while the rest of the locals are out partying, the variety of food choices available is almost unlimited. The city truly never sleeps and one feels mildly obligated to stray from the conventional slice of pizza on the drunken walk home from whichever trendy area of the city you’ve been frequenting to whichever, most likely less trendy, area of the city in which you live.

After being pushed out of the comfortable borders of my conventional midnight pizza-eating, and finding a new ethnic cuisine each night to offer a climax to a night of drunken revelry, I suddenly fell on hard times upon relocating to London. Whereas New York is the city that never sleeps, London slathers on the cold cream, firmly pulls down its slumber mask and demands its beauty sleep, and considerable amounts of it at that. I’ve learned to eat while the sun is still up if I plan on eating at all. While Londoners most certainly eat just as regularly on the weekends as throughout the business week, they seem quite happy to shut down the entire city at approximately 6pm each day. Grocery stores, restaurants, cafes: all closed. Shopkeepers, restauranteurs, and waiters slam their doors and run for cover as soon as the sun dips out of view.

These early-closures have come as a harsh adjustment for me, mainly in terms of finding something to satiate me on inebriated journeys home in the early hours of the morning. Unfortunately, being rather domestically inept, I don’t really keep my flat stocked with food, of the snack variety or otherwise. Thus, one night last week, a late-night phone call to a darling friend went something like this:

Friend: “Have you been drinking?”
Me: “Maybe. Why do you ask?”
Friend: “Your voice shoots up an octave and a half after a few glasses of wine. And you’re jolly. Eerily jolly. What’s that noise in the background? Are you banging pots and jars together?”
Me: “I’m cooking whole wheat spaghettini, but I used the fridge socket for my hair straightener yesterday morning and forgot to plug the fridge back in and now my pesto looks off. Thoughts?”
Friend: “It’s 2 am.”
Me: “About the pesto.”
Friend: “If it smells manky, don’t eat it. Also, it’s 2am.”

I suppose the moral of that story is if you’re new to London, consider investing in some low-preparation snack foods to store around the house for late night cravings. Also, a power bar to maximize your useable electrical sockets so your hair and beauty aids don’t continually sabotage whatever work your major kitchen appliances are no doubt up to. Alternately, if you’re headed to New York and aren’t hell bent on blending in with the locals, I can direct you to the best all night sandwich cafĂ© in Union Square that does things with capers that still make me wake up salivating.

To be continued.

8 comments:

Allison said...

there's going to be a part 2?

;)

joking, joking. that's just because you said i wouldn't enjoy reading your post, but alas, i did. although it did make me a little sad realizing all the great food we're missing out on not being in north america at the moment.

no matter how long i live here i don't think i will ever get used to the everything shutting before dusk. sometimes i wish i had a tumbleweed farm (or wherever they come from, play along) in my backyard so when 8pm rolls around i can just go down the highstreet and let the little buggers free.

i apologize for this comment and it s lack of coherency, its late.

Strawberry Blondie said...

There will be a part two; I have much more food rambling and ranting that I need to get out of my system.

The thought of you emerging from a barn as the sun goes down wearing overalls (you can't run a tumbleweed farm and not wear overalls) and rolling tumbleweeds out into the deserted streets like some sort of redneck bowler is the best thing I've heard in a while. :)

Unknown said...

I started to write you a comment at work, but then it was time for me to leave.

Ok, first thing's first: DO NOT PUT A POWER BAR AND PLUG IN ANY KITCHEN APPLIANCES. You'll end up blowing a fuse or switching the breaker off. For real, in my place you can't microwave and have the kettle on at the same time on different outlets. Hair appliances also use a lot of power so it's pretty much a definite.

Now... as for your food post: how odd that London shuts down so early! I'm going to have to take that into account when I'm planning my trip there.

New York however... well that could explain why they all have so much attitude there! They're just hungry!

I've been thinking a lot about food lately as well - things like how many non-food substances disguised as food that we ingest (i.e. soda). It's kind of frightening to think about. It kind of goes with your turkey vs. cheese situation.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Well now I am wondering if London primly buttons a high-necked flannel nightie up to her cold-creamed chin or is she slithers into a satiny negligee. At least she is well fed as she pulls the covers up (provided she ate before dark).

Oddly enough I mistook a slice of cheese for turkey today while noshing on a sandwich (although I did figure it out in one bite). But what is going on with this turkey/cheese interactivity? Is it a case of GMO food gone mad?

Strawberry Blondie said...

Maggie -- Noted. I will not move plugs into other sockets. Maybe I'll just buy less food that needs to be chilled so it won't matter if I leave the fridge unplugged from time to time. ;)

The early closures should definitely be noted when trip planning. Basically, don't plan to do anything other than drinking after dark.

I think we all ingest a lot more sketchy synthetic stuff than we should. I suggest a collective detox where we all go spend some time in spa to cleanse ourselves.

Barb -- She certainly is an enigma, that London. She does slither into a satin negligee, but compliments it with fuzzy pink slippers a terry cloth dressing gown. Although the robe might be to hide her well-fed frame that she maintains with a regime of daily eating.

I'm a little concerned about this turkey-cheese phenomenon that we seem to have stumbled upon. I'm betting GMOs are running amok and are to blame. Farmyards are probably filled with big trianglular wedges of swiss cheese running around on poultry legs, the flaps of skin under their beaks flapping madly in the wind.

Unknown said...

I will happily be detoxing myself after this play is over. I honestly can't wait. Detox and physiotherapy! Woo!

You can unplug your fridge for a short period of time without it affecting the food inside too much (like a cooler).

Though... I do think we should do the spa thing (if only for a day). We need to cost compare if we should do that when I visit you, or when you come home for a visit.

Anonymous said...

London may be tucked up in bed so tightly that it slightly constricts blood flow at 8pm every night..... but damn it looks good on a sunny day after 10 hours sleep and a solid English breakfast ;)

Always a pleasure to see a strawberry blondie update.

Strawberry Blondie said...

Maggie -- Noted. We'll have to discuss further in the face of an impending visit. :)

DarkoJones -- Hopefully there will be more updates in the future.

Yes, London definitely shines up pretty well and looks its finest on a well-rested sunny day. I'm less convinced about the English breakfast. Personally, I think the French have got you beat in that department. But, that could be a whole other blog post.