Monday 2 June 2008

flux.

A conversation prompted by some sudden life-changing news of an acquaintance led a friend and I to pause and reflect our current situations in life in relation to where we thought we’d be at this age. I’d forgotten about my plans and expectations until badgered unwittingly into reflection. About five years, I thought I pretty much knew how things would end up.

---
With my undergraduate diploma still tucked under my arm, I bid a fond farewell to my university friends, with hugs for all punctuated by one or two tasteful tears. There’s inexplicably no luggage, or furniture to move: ah yes, it’s been seen to, sent ahead. Carrying only my purse, framed diploma, and congratulatory bouquet of flowers I step aboard the train and wave farewell to my beaming parents.

One year later.

I’m living in a small one-bedroom flat in Montreal, just on the edge of the old part of the city. It’s in old brick building adorned with black wrought iron balconies and fire escapes zig-zagging over the exterior. I live with my cat, Mia, and the terrier I adopted upon moving to the city. He is somewhat pretentiously named after a famous novelist. The apartment is small and unassuming, but sleek. Dark wood floors throughout, and lilac walls in the bedroom offset by gauzy white curtains and an antique vanity. The living room houses two crisp off-white linen armchairs and a cherry wood writing desk facing out the balcony window looking over the cobbled streets below. The kitchen looks mostly unused apart from the mail and some magazines on the table and an unnecessarily elaborate espresso machine on the counter. The cat and dog’s stainless steel food bowls are neatly arranged against one wall.

I’m finishing off my Masters and moving into full time employment. Basically, I’m transitioning my university placement as an arts magazine journalist into my livelihood. I do most of my work – writing and researching – from my laptop around the city. My pretentiously-named dog often accompanies me around the cobbled-streets of Old Montreal and basks in the sun at my feet while I work on the tiny round tables of various café patios. In the winter, we move indoors and he wears a little red knit sweater. I like to work out of the house and in the city, especially in the old quarter, because it gives me a chance to work on my French with the locals.

There’s a boy. We don’t live together, but we plan to in a few years. We met during our undergrad and planned to move here to be together. In a few years, we plan on buying a town house in the city and live on the top floor while converting the rest into a few apartments for an investment. On weekend mornings we go for long winding walks through the cobbled streets of old Montreal with the pretentious terrier. We spend time perusing organic produce and tiny jars of artichokes and pesto at the market. As we leave the market he holds a paper bag of hand-labelled condiments, fruit, and fresh leafy basil poking out the top. I clasp the terrier’s lead in one hand, his hand in the other. At night we go to galleries, the theatre, and smoky jazz lounges.

My friends start receiving degrees and promotions, they get engaged, get married, and have baby showers. Everything follows a smooth progression, and I arrive at each graduation, engagement party, wedding, and baby shower with bright eyes, a big smile, and a beautifully wrapped giftbox the size of a compact car. The events take place, but only exist as ceremonies, gifts and champagne toasts. This is life; we’ve arrived. Barring the organic progression through the checklist of life accomplishments, everything is stable and safe nothing is uncertain or in flux.
---

I watch a rarely-seen tear slide down my father’s cheek and hear my mother choke back tears as she pushes a card into my hands. My laptop has just disappeared down the conveyor belt into an xray machine and I stand in my stocking feet, holding my butter-soft Nine West boots in my hand. The guard taps his magnetic wand into the gloved palm of his hand. Hot tears I didn’t know were in me, well up in my eyes as I feel my dad’s arms trembling when he wraps them around me. It’s awfully far away, my mother says. I can’t look back over my shoulder as I walk though the metallic arch and collect my bags. As the plane takes off, I look down at Pearson Airport disappearing beneath us, and Toronto twinkling gold around her and think of how many times the descent into Pearson has meant coming home. The hot tears are creeping back again, their unfamiliarity stinging the corners of my eyes.

I’m awakened in the morning by a stewardess’ hand on my shoulder as she shakes me gently. We’re landing. Groggily I pull myself into an upright position. Classy way to start my adult life, I think, as I recall waking to a jolt of turbulence a few hours ago and upon remembering that I was in a metal tube hovering above nothing but ocean, reaching for what was apparently one too many sleeping pills. I hope I wasn’t drooling on myself when she woke me.

I drag myself and my three suitcases from the airport into the middle of the city getting them stuck in the turnstiles at various underground stations. Puffy-eyed, groggy, and trying to rinse the pills and in-flight wine out of my system with bottles of water, I’ve arrived. Here I am, London. About a month and a half away from being broke, with no place to live and a second interview for an unpaid internship next week. The future’s looking rosy.

Seven months later.

I’m living in a studio flat the approximate size of a shoe in the northwest quarter of the city. My street is lined with charming stone townhouses although the one housing my flat is the definitely the least enviable. Fortunately there are some well-placed trees and hedges obscuring it. Inside, a funky metal clock adorns one of the lilac walls. It’s sat at a quarter to two so long that a thin layer of dust coats the hands. When I sleep on the right side of the bed, I’m careful not to bump my head on the kitchen counter when getting up in the morning. The flat is too small for a cat, a terrier, and most certainly for a pretentious name assigned to either. My window overlooks an overgrown backyard which, when covered in ivy in the summer, looks almost quaint. The window panes quiver when the trains from the London underground pass by, on the above-ground stretch of track a short distance away. The kitchenette looks mostly unused apart from a simple kettle and a stout blue and white teapot.

I spend, what seems to be, most waking hours at my office just outside the city, or on a train to or from the office. I work for a prominent publishing house, in the marketing department. The internship there turned into a permanent position after seven days. It comes with perks – some nice travel to Europe here and there – but on a daily basis it seems to offer more in the way of stress and a long commute. The office is open-concept: bright and sunny, complete with a gym, massage suite, library, restaurant, café, and rooftop terrace. I spend spare moments at my desk contemplating this self-contained bubble and longing for some reason to run out the front doors and feel the well-worn pavement beneath my feet and the sun upon my hair. The smokers get their fix atop the building surrounded by potted ferns and bistro-style tables. The building has been designed so not even they and their carcinogens have a reason to leave the perfectly-constructed bubble.

There’s a boy. We see each other several times a week. We commute in exactly opposite directions. Everything seems to revolve around train schedules, commuter routes, and engineering-related delays. Things are kept fun and uncomplicated. We go to the theatre, the cinema, and on weekend mornings to the breakfast place with the best scrambled eggs in the city. We eat crepes and drink wine in Nice. I watch him play the Blackjack tables in Monte Carlo and he watches me kick off my sandals and step into the sea at Cannes.

I miss my friends from home terribly and worry that they’ve forgotten about me since I’ve moved away. I miss the student social life and having a full social calendar. I often think about the half-completed and ultimately discarded grad school and journalism school application forms. I articulate this and other anxieties to my fellow ex-patriot: the only person I know in the country from home. Although she lives hours away, we talk at least twice a day and I feel like she’s always close by. She listens to my regrets and uncertainties and helps keep me sane. In turn, I listen to her tears and sadness about a broken heart, family issues, and post-graduation angst. My friends are all succeeding in remarkable ways, but their successes are scattered amongst less celebratory events. Everything seems complicated and ever-changing. Heartbreak, health scares, infidelity, birth control slips, dating and career stresses are just as prevalent as promotions, graduations, engagements, and world travels. Events are marked by consequences and repercussions, not just gift cards, toasts, and flowers. It’s too easy to be the happy bringer of gifts in times of triumphs. It’s the times in between where the offerings of advice, words of comfort, and reservation of judgment mean something more.

Apparently there’s no arrival, as such. The stasis we assumed marked adulthood doesn’t exist. The only consistence seems to be the constant state of flux. It’s a little frightening, but comforting at the same time because if we had already arrived, we’d have nowhere left to go.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

This almost made me cry at work.

As much as the uncertainty can be scary, I think it's better for things to be in flux. It's nice when things are going your way for a while, but to ultimately walk out of university into your perfect life I think would ultimately feel somewhat empty.

And think of how much more you'll appreciate the amazing flat you end up with one day now that you've lived in this one! ;)

Allison said...

I was going to comment by your sidebar word made me throw up a bit. I'll be back later.

;)

Allison said...

It just dawned on me that people here may not know that I'm joking withe the above note.

Anyway, while our lives may not feel as grown up as we imagined them to be at this point in time, I think we can collectively agree that things could be worse. You could be a book binder.

Again, inside joke lost in the space.

Two few things I will never forget about our moves to England.

1) Me, at Heathrow throwing shoes out of my bag in an attempt to make it fit on the scale and then sobbing at the BA attendant.
2) You, a few months later meeting me outside of Kings Cross with...your life in your hands. Worried I'm sure about your suitcase having to be on the ground...among other things ;)

What's funny is that while reading this post I smiled more times than I thought (knitted Terrier sweater really put it over the top), but in all honesty, we would appreciate nothing if we didn't have to work for it. What would we have to complain about? ;)

Unknown said...

P.S. Your dream of an antique dresser reminded me of a phone conversation I had with my mother last night wherein she tried to convince me to buy a three piece antique bedroom set on sale for $300. This would be a fabulous bargain if it weren't also THE UGLIEST BEDROOM SET I've seen short of something from the 70s or 80s. I mean, wow was this ever ugly. I'd forward you the email, but I deleted it so that I wouldn't have to keep such heavy, disgusting furniture in my inbox.

Thank god we're not quite at the marrying stage yet, otherwise I might have ended up with that fugly ass furniture as a wedding gift!

Lady Skywalker said...

Your uncertainty sounds nearly poetic. And if described by you, certainly amazing.

Strawberry Blondie said...

Maggie - You're dedfinitely right that life would be empty if everything became perfect overnight. I've come around to the view that having to work at things and endure little trials and hardships is character building. The more life experiences you have, the more interesting you seem to become. Also, it'll be good to have stories of misadventures to look back on if and when we've made it and are pleasantly ensconed in our nice apartments and enjoying the good life. ;-)

Thank goodness you weren't gifted with the hideous bedroom furniture! A) because I would hate for you to be stuck with it and B) because I would fear that it would be regifted and I might end up with it!

Allison - I'm glad you finished throwing up from the sidebar and came back to comment. ;-)
Things could definitely be much worse - we seem to be turning out alright, albeit a little slower than planned. It's kind of nice that we're not as adult as we'd expected, because we're still hanging onto the fun parts of youth and getting some more hedonism in before "settling down".
I will also never forget you throwing your shoes out at Heathrow while sobbing at the BA attendant. I actually don't think the BA attendant will be forgetting that anytime soon either.

I'm so glad I finally found a little place to unpack my life - it was bloody heavy. Also, lesson for us all: the first phone call you make in a new city should be too an estate agent.

Lady Skywalker - Poetic is such a good way to describe life's little journeys. Constantly fluid and changing and always moving forward. Even when things aren't amazing they seem to remain lyrical and narrative. :-)

Unknown said...

I would NEVER re-gift something like that. I would however end up terrified of hurting my mother's feelings and probably have to live with the ugly set for the rest of my life.... or hers. I honestly can't believe she used the word "investment" with me when talking about that set. *shudders*

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I am struck by how brave you are, stiking out across the ocean to an UNPAID internship. That takes guts. I thought I was hot stuff, packing my books in the back of my Nova and heading to Ontario.

Not the same thing. Not the same thing at all.

Unknown said...

Wow...another post and so thoughtful. Welcome to adulthood, I am so very proud of you. You had the courage to go after your dream... living in London, building a career... I wish I had but half of that courage at your age! You will do great things for you are great things! When we 'arrive' we are likely dead so don't be in too much of a hurry to get there...have a long, drawn out and wonderfully experiential journey!!! Drink wine, eat cake soak in the beauty of every one and every thing around you! Love you,
S.

Strawberry Blondie said...

Maggie - I know you wouldn't. Just one more reason why you're awesome. I love that it was presented to you as an "investment"!

Barbara - It takes guts or, in my case, impatience and spectacularly poor planning abilities! :-) When it comes down to it, moving is terrifying regardless of the distance! Luckily, things always seem to work out somehow, right? Right?

Shelley - You're right that arrival is usually synonomous with ending. I'm reminded of Woody Allen saying, "a relationship is like a shark - it has to keep moving forward or it dies, and what we've got on our hands is a dead shark." I guess it applies to life, as well as relationships.

Drinking wine and eating cake are definitely essential points along the journey. Also amazing friends and laughter. I'll concentrate on those, and hopefully the sweater-clad terrier and the espresso machine will arrive in their own good time.

Anonymous said...

Ali, that was fabulous! You encapsulated everything I feel into those perfectly worded paragraphs. I really think you should start thinking about writing a novel -you have such a gift.

Flux is good, I'd like a little less of it myself, but hey, at least things are moving somehow. Oh and I'm pretty sure no one could forget you! Hearts!

Strawberry Blondie said...

Fleur - I'm glad you feel the same way and can relate. At least we're suffering from the same twentysomething angst. Safety in numbers, right?

I laughed at your novel comments because they came shortly after my boss explained to me, in a very slow patronizing voice, how to improve writing marketing blurbs for our catalogues. Oh god, how I wish I worked for you instead! I would happily take your delusions of giftedness over being treated like a moron any day. ;-) I miss you!